Friday, June 26, 2009

A Day to Remember

I remember when I was in grade school and we got cable. Our cable box had 36 channels (just like the one pictured above). I also remember when MTV first aired and that all the parents were in discussions about whether or not to let their children watch the videos that glamorized sex, drugs and questionable language. At least I'm guessing that's why they didn't want us watching it. At some point my parents must have given in because I have vivid memories of watching the Thriller and Billy Jean videos. I remember sitting for hours watching music videos. I also remember the excitement when Thriller came on - I'd scream for my brother and we would sit glued to the tube in awe and dance around trying to imitate the walking dead!

Last night on the news they were talking about how people remembered exactly where they were when they learned Elvis died and how this would be the same. I was walking Veda around 4:30 past the neighbors house. They had their TV on and I could read that there was breaking news and that it had something to do with MJ. No big shocker there. When I got home and turned on the TV I have to tell you that I felt very very sad and the first thing I thought of was his children. I think it's very unfortunate that with all the negative press he's gotten (deserved or not) that he probably didn't know how many fans he had out there and what an impact his death would have on everyone - including me.
Someday Veda will read this. You should also know that Farrah Fawcett passed yesterday as well. One of the original Charlie's Angels. She was only 62. I'm sure they will have remade the movie several times by the time you're my age;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the picture of the cable box transported me back to the 80's. oh how fun MTV used to be. I'm glad we got to be kids when it was cool.

-meg
ptown