Kel is visiting and we were just imagining what 9/11 would have been like had we had Twitter or Facebook back then. We would have been exposed to real time reports from those trapped on the plane and in the towers. I think that would have made it more tragic for those of us who were far away and not effected personally. Maybe it would have helped to thwart the efforts of the terrorists who were flying the second or third plane, just as they were able to do on the fourth pane.
I thought the kids would want to know what we were doing when we heard the news...
Kathy
I was driving to work the morning of 9/11 when they said that a plane had hit the world trade center. At first they thought it was a small private plane and were speculating about suicide and such. It wasn't until they came back on an announced that a second plane had hit that the announcers realized that something bigger was happening.
The second plane hit right as I was pulling into the lot at the Alumni Association. I ran in and turned on my computer. Then I called the building manager and suggested that she turn on the television in the ballroom. A group of about 20 to 30 of us were gathered there listening to a reporter from the pentagon when the third plane hit.
We watched the towers fall and as horrific as it was I didn't understand the magnitude of what was happening. I had never been to the trade centers. I didn't know how many people worked there. As the story unfolded in the days that followed I was GLUED to the TV. After hearing story after story of escape and peril I became very emotional and the realization finally hit me that this didn't happen in some foreign land... these were people just like you and me.
Todd
I was at the plant in Iowa City. I had already been at work for several hours so I was hearing the reports as everything happened. Eventually Todd Nickell and I brought it up on the computer and then we left work for the day and watched the news all day at Nickell's house.
Kelly
I had just moved to AZ. I had only been there for a couple of weeks. Kristi Diemer was staying with me because she was on her way to LA. We woke up in the morning (a few timezones behind) and heard about what had happened. I had to go to work that day at Canyon Communications and we spent most of the day in front of a small TV in my boss' office.
No comments:
Post a Comment