Just last week I was wishing her a happy birthday and then we lost her suddenly and unexpectedly. Our trip back to Iowa on Friday will be with mixed emotions as we meet up with the rest of the family to lay her to rest. I was fortunate enough to get to know her over the years. She was emailing and blogging into her 80's and even had her own Facebook page. I was closer to her than with my own Grandparents. It says a lot about her that she was willing and able to navigate the technologies that would help her communicate with her Grandkids.
My favorite memory was when the family gave her her Christmas present several years back. Go figure that I was the only one in the room that had no idea what it was... a post hole digger... for their 80 year old Grandmother. I was wondering what planet I was on but as I would come to learn... this would be the perfect gift for her. Always out clearing snow from the driveway, mowing and burning yard waste on the farm... she just did what needed to be done.
We could always count on her to tell us what the rest of the family was up to. I'll miss being in the "know" and I'm sorry that she won't get to meet Adele.
No comments:
Post a Comment