
So I've tried formula a few times with her now. Once before Mexico to make sure she would take it if I needed to give it to her. Once on the flight home to Iowa in December because I was in a bind. Both times she took it no problem. When we were back in Iowa I tried it again at Todd's parent's because I thought my breastmilk supply was dwindling. Diane, Kelly, and I spent a rough evening caring for sweet V while she projectile vomited the entire bottle and then spent a good hour dry heaving. I thought it might have just been a bad batch or she wasn't feeling just right so we tried again yesterday. Good thing Todd had the day off because he spent it cleaning up her vomit and holding her for hours while she slept - exhausted from the ordeal. Here's a pic of her just staring into space - waiting for the next round of dry heaving to begin. Poor poor thing! The Dr. office was closed yesterday so we are back to breast milk until we can figure this out. I may try another type of formula today - but just a little. We'll see...
3 comments:
Hey Kathy, that is rough! I'm sorry to hear that Veda got so sick :( I wish I had some advice for you but I don't have much experience with formula. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.
1.It could be the stomach flu (Nathan is getting over it, its about a 24 hour thing).
2.Try a different formula. Remember what I went through with Savannah. Try warming it up. But also remember, if you keep switching formulas that will for sure make her even sicker. There little stomachs can't handle it.
I hope she feels better. Give a jingle when you can.
Hugs,
M. Sayre
Hey Kathy,
Ugh, I went through the same thing with Lincoln. My milk supply unfortunately was never really good. In fact, the most I'd even have in the freezer was 2 bags! I worked so hard at it for 5 months with all the pumping, grr. So, when I decided to switch to formula, it was chaotic to say the least. I also had the challenge of having a baby with acid reflux issues anyway, he was on zantac the first year of his life! So, I researched a bit on some of the parenting websites about how to transition to formula. There was a schedule on one that I tried. For the life of me however, I can't remember what it was, but I'm sure you could find it. It's like a certain amount of days you do 'this much' breastmilk and 'this much' formula. Slowly, the breastmilk is tapered off and it isn't as much of a huge shock to their system. I also had to experiment with different formulas. I'd only give each one a few days (along with breastmilk) to decide if he was tolerating it. I didn't want him throwing up any more than he had too, it broke my heart. He ended up with the NESTLE Good Start with natural cultures. It's supposed to be easier to digest, comparable to breastmilk, and even claims to boost the immune system. I would laugh at that claim though because it seemed like Lincoln was always sick when he was younger. I'm like "what the heck? He's had breastmilk for 5 months, doesn't go to daycare, and now is on the "immune system boosting" formula and he's still sick!" So anyway, it's the one in a green can. It's the most expensive of the Good Starts, but it was what he tolerated. I tried Enfamil, Isomil, & even the Soy versions. Also, in my conversations with people, alot have said anything with Iron in it tends to upset the stomach. Understandable, iron can constipate. So, maybe try the formulas that say 'low iron' on the label. Check with your doctor though. Babies have enough iron stores for the first 6 months or so of life from the mother, which is why formula with iron is usually suggested once they go on it. There are multivitamins they say you should give your child starting at a certain point. They're called "poly vi sol", or "tri vi sol" and are over the counter anywhere usually. But I have to tell you, it is disgusting and they smell terrible. I first tried generic, and then bought name brand hoping it would be better, but nope. So, I tried it for awhile, but I gagged just opening the container and I couldn't stand watching my baby have to choke it down :( So I stopped. He's just fine though :)Anyway, sorry for the novel, just thought I would try to offer some suggestions :) Hope you guys had a great holiday!
Post a Comment