Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Roll Call


I've made a habit of making sure someone knows they are in charge of child A or B when leaving the area. This generally annoys Todd as it seems obvious that if I go upstairs he would be in charge of the kids that are in the same room as he is. Well having Ryan around has caused a little confusion. There have been three instances of escape this week and all because one of us thought the other was with child A or B.

Case I. Last night the cousins came to dinner. We were all outside with the kids when I went inside to make a bottle for Adele. Todd assumed Veda was with me inside and I assumed she was playing with the other kids outside. A friendly neighbor found her wandering down the street and brought her home.

Case II. Ryan and I were at Trader Joe's the other day picking up supplies for the party. We were debating on the taste of heirloom tomatoes vs. sweet plum cherry tomatoes when we realized that Adele was not with us. As insane as it seems -- we left her in Dairy while we headed on to produce. She was snoozing away with my purse. Ryan swears he would have left the grocery store altogether as he had forgotten she was with us - and at that point he was in charge of her!

Case III. We were at the mall tonight and Veda was playing in the Germnasium. We were laughing because we witnessed a couple little ones making a run for it and watching their parents try to catch up with them as they exited the play area. Then we realized... Veda was nowhere to be seen. We were so focused on the other kids we didn't see her make her great escape - we assumed the other had her on their radar. She was standing about 100 yards away near the Coffee Bean (with no shoes) spinning in circles trying to find me - moments from tears.

Really - if they invented a tracking device for kids I would pay a fortunate for it. Maybe that's my million dollar idea. That and resturant highchairs that you can legally use as carseat stands.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hum, sorry to hear about case III! You can put a leash on her like some animal, NOT! Thanks for dinner, had a great time. We may be coming over just to play with all the toys!

Anonymous said...

The Iowa State Fair is providing tracking bracelets for kids this year.

Anonymous said...

i can't stop laughing - a totally inappropriate reaction i'm sure...